Friday 10 January 2020

To Make Toast & Water


To Make Toast and Water, according to Mrs. Beeton's book of Household Management 

1876: Ingredients: A slice of bread, 1 quart of boiling water.

Mode: Cut a slice from a stale loaf ( a piece of hard crust is better than anything else for this purpose), toast it of a nice brown on every side, but do not allow it to burn or blacken

Put it into a jug, pour the boiling water over it, cover it closely, and let it remain until cold.
When strained it will be ready for use.

Toast-and-water should always be made a short time before it is required, to enable it to get cold: if drunk in a tepid or lukewarm state, it is an exceedingly disagreeable beverage. 

If, as is sometimes the case, this drink is wanted in a hurry, put  the toasted bread in a jug, and only just cover it with the boiling water; when it is cold . cold water may be added in the proportion required. .... the toast-and-water strained; it will then be ready for use, and is more expeditiously prepared than by the above method. 


Thankyou, Mrs Beeton. Useful to know how stale bread can be used in the kitchen instead of being donated to the hens.

-------

Photoshoot: 8am yesterday (Thursday 9th Jan) didn't happen because I was still in bed and in avoidance mode about getting up. 
Photoshoot: 8am today, (Thursday 10th Jan) produced a grey /black photo because it was raining. 

-------
Project Manjaro: this is getting Windows 7 off my PC before Windows stop supporting it on Jan 14th. We can put a free version of Windows 10 on the computer, but want to stop being under the rule of Windows so are moving towards the open source operating system of Linux Manjaro. 
I am currently working through my files, particularly the website files, with the intent to save them on to disc, so that Lester can begin stripping Windows off my machine and putting Manjaro on to it. 

I think that this is cool thing to do for someone over seventy! Rather than staying with what I know, to move on into new waters stops me from getting old and set in my ways, a tendency I could have if I refused to learn new things by using the excuse of  'I am too old'. 

Bye for now,

Vx

3 comments:

Denise said...

My immediate thought was that you couldn’t make toast and water these days because people would want to us a toaster and THAT would end VERY badly indeed!

You are one of the coolest people I know, Vera, regardless of the numbers. x

Rhodesia said...

Never heard of Manjaro, interesting. Keep well Diane

Vera said...

DENISE, I think that Mrs Beeton said to make the toast first, put it into a container and then add the water! Still think I shall give the bread to the chickens though!

RHODESIA, I only know of Manjaro because Lester is a computer programmer, in other words he is a tech man! Actually, Manjaro originated from South Africa, as did Ubuntu, which is another open source operating system, and the most popular amongst computer boffs!