Friday 12 December 2014

The bed kept calling me back to itself today.....

My bed kept calling me back to itself today,
twice it did so,
and twice I answered its call.
Anyway, it was a lot warmer in bed,
what with the electric blanket being switched on,
so I was roasty and toasty and snug.
But on the whole it was day of not a lot happening,
except that we had a family pow wow about the kitchen units,
with Himself deciding that he was going to make them himself,
then deciding he wasn't going to,
then deciding he was.
 
So nothing much happened today,
even lunch was recycled five day old soup.
First day: carrot, stock cubes, DIY cream, sweetcorn, and celery.
Second day: to the leftovers of the previous day was added a tin of tomatoes, some DIY lardons,
more stock cubes, and the rest of the sweetcorn.
Third day: to the leftovers was added the remainder lunch, which was potatoes cooked in farm milk, added to which was lots of garlic, the remainder of  a Heinz tomato ketchup bottle and a jar of DIY tomato soup.
 
 
Fourth day: remainder added to DIY pork meatloaf (from the freezer), together with a slice of DIY pig's head rillard (also from freezer) to form a rather tasty mush, which was added to rice.
Fifth day: remainder fried up again, eggs added to make egg fried rice and leftover soupy pork mush.
It was very yummy.
 
The soup is now all gone,
and I miss having the pot of soup on the go,
carrying it forward from one day to the next.
It made a fast lunch,
and I could slide all manner of things from the pantry into it.
 
 
Tomorrow I shall start another one off,
and I must also rescue the slab of belly of pork which has been soaking in brine all week.
 
And now the trees are dropping their leaves
we can see the snow capped Pyrenees mountains in the distance:
 
 
 
Saying bye for now,
 
Vx


4 comments:

Mizumatte said...

that is the best kind of food take care and keep listening for the call of warm bed. Jaana

northsider said...

You can't beat a bowl of home-made soup and some home baked bread Vera.

Tim said...

" So nothing much happened today,
even lunch was recycled five day old soup.
"....
Friday IS Fridge Soup Day...
after all is said and done!!
But you seem to have had a Fridge-Freezer soup...
on the go all week...
that is so traditional...
just wait until the new cooker is up and running...
there will be the " truly rural, it's got everything in it!!" pot on the go all the year...
the scrapings just before the Spring clean being the tastiest...
with a little bit of absolutely everything in each mouthful.
We regularly do a Friday fridge soup...
I grew up on it...
my mother at least once...
or more, perhaps...
slid leftover apple pie into the mix...
BUT the magic ingredient was always...
that...
TIN OF TOMATOES!

Loverlie shots of the Pair'o'Knees...
and I hope the kitchen units don't take as long....
as I've taken over making the "mobile chicken coop and run"....
I think your hubby and I must share some genes back in pre-historic times...
can you let him safely go shopping alone?
Pauline daren't let me...
I think that it's...
the hunter-gather syndrome!!

Vera said...

Jaana, I shall indeed listen to my bed calling me!

Northsider Dave....you are so right, especially one that has gathered a few days of bits and pieces along the way (the soup). As for the bread..... it was fabbo, especially because it had DIY butter on it!

Tim, this is the first time I have kept a soup on the go for several days. Normally the leftovers from one soup goes straight out to the pigs the next day, but I had a thought about what the people in the olden days did when they were short of time, and it came to me to make a soup which could be added to each day. By the time it was all eaten up it was absolutely the tastiest soup I have ever had. But apple pie? Wow, but your mother was an inventive cook!

I do let Lester do the shopping sometimes, but he is the one who does the 'sinning'. I buy sensible food, but he always does the 'we shouldn't eat this really' food but we are going to anyway....what I mean is, that he buys the treats. And those kitchen units look like taking an awful long time to make. But Pauline and I shall remain in hope that they will get done sometime in the future!