Sunday 15 December 2013

Oh the joys of scything......

Been out scything grass in the lower field. 
I do this every morning. 
Five hundred swipes of the scythe I do, 
more or less,
because I need to fill the wheelbarrow
three times,
so that the pigs can have their breakfast.

They like the grass. 
It has made their poo a happier colour,
and they like raking around,
picking out the best bits,
to eat first. 
They tell us they like doing this,
because their tails wag,
and they do little snortles
as they munch.

And I like scything,
because it gets me outside at dawn,
which is something I would not do,
because it can be cold,
and the fingers and toes
can get frosty,
almost to frostbite,
well, perhaps not quite that,
but nearly.

And I like scything,
because it exercises my back,
and I get to drink in
lungfuls of cold air,
which sometimes hurts my chest,
it is so cold,
but
it does clear out the bronchials.

Am off outside in a mo,
just to wish you a happy Sunday,
and say,
well done. 
Vx

5 comments:

Diane said...

You are so energetic, I have no idea how you manage it in this weather. Everyone tells us the weather in the UK is mild at the moment but we are both frozen all the time!! Looking forward to getting home after Christmas :-)
Have a good Christmas and we wish you a healthy and wealthy 2014. Diane

Ohiofarmgirl said...

nice to hear from you - have been wondering how you are doing. we are covered in snow and ice. no scything here. :-)

Horst in Edmonton said...

Vera, the exercise does you very good even though it is cold out. Keeps you young and in good shape. Keeps you happy as well. Have a great week.

rusty duck said...

It will keep you fit Vera for sure.

John Going Gently said...

"It has made their poo a happier colour,"

Another of your lovely phrases x