Wednesday 8 July 2020

Only as old as you feel.......

The Cottage....... it is small, as is the manner of most cottages. It is not an ancient cottage, but nevertheless quite old, and built for long ago people who were much smaller in stature than us folk of today, and therein lies a difficulty with certain parts of the house.

We have stairs in the cottage. I haven't 'done' stairs for thirteen years, because the French farmhouse we were renovating remained unrenovated upstairs because the downstairs was big enough to live in. A loo, of course, was the first thing we included in the renovation. But over the years my legs forgot that they could climb stairs, and became lazy.

The loo is upstairs in the cottage.  We don't have a handy downstairs loo, for when things are of an urgent nature. Instead we have to climb quite steep stairs, therefore we can't linger until the last moment but must be alert to the warning signals of an imminent 'call of nature'.

So......what would you do if you were me, and your legs have become lazy?

Well, you could always get a porta potty and put it in the downstairs larder, but it is quite a small space, and the brooms and boots underfoot, and the coats hanging over head, would make it impossible to be comfortable.
Or you could see the stairs as a challenge, and put it to your legs that this is something which will benefit them, even if at first they don't agree, after all it is easier to be lazy is it not?

The good thing is that the stairs have two hand rails, one each side of the staircase, therefore the arms can also be put into use, which is a good thing as the upper arms in particular also need to be pulled out of their laziness and put to useful purpose. 

My legs, my arms, and myself, were not much of a team in the beginning, and if had not been for the need of that loo I would have probably let the Stair Project be put on hold until my next lifetime came around. It was the call of that loo, and even the urgency when I had dallied too long downstairs that kept me engaged with the Stair Project.

Four weeks on and today I have just managed to go up those stairs with a good stride, and no need to hold on to the banisters, and with not much heavy breathing.  Coming down, I still hold on because of the steepness of the stairs but my legs feel more secure in themselves.

Hooray! I'm on the move again! Now the next Project is getting me walking again. I have just had a look at the 'Shropshire's Great Outdoors'  and the 'Ordnance Survey Maps' websites and I have been filled with an enthusiasm to get some walking boots and 'let's go do'........ France doesn't have footpath trails, and they were the first things I missed when I arrived at the farm.

But I wouldn't be able to do much mileage on my legs as they are at the moment, but I can do a 'round the village' circuit, although I do have to stop now and again when my body complains. I have only just started the 'Walk the Village Project' because I needed the Stair Project to get my legs moving again. I also have another project on the go, which is getting up and down off the floor, but that is for another day.

France was a lovely place to live in, and the experience of living a farm life for a while was the best ever, but after the 2017 health blip I had I seemed to not have recovered as much as I should have. It would seem that changing my life direction has woken me up to the fact that you are as old as you feel, no matter how old you actually are.

Bye for now,
Vx












14 comments:

Ruth said...

I just found your blog a week or two ago. I certainly hope that your husband's work situation keeps needing him! I don't need to be replied to - I just go along and read the blogs I like, clicking on the ones who post fairly regularly (no posts of my own.) Congratulations on getting yourself moving!! I agree with the need to keep a close eye on those first hints of needing to go to the necessary house. Walking outdoors will help you so much! Good Luck!

Mama Pea said...

I'm sending heaps of "atta girl!" and supportive congratulations to you for tackling the situation of getting your legs (and other important body parts!) back into shape. Yes! You truly are only as old as you feel and once we pass 40 and can see that half century mark looming (gulp!), it's not too early to start taking better care of ourselves. You're off to a running start (pun intended) toward a new, exciting phase of your life. Just think of all the new, inspiring, interesting events and activities ahead. And how much stronger you've already become just because you tackled those steep stairs!

local alien said...

Well done. You beat those stairs. Onwards and upwards lol. Good luck with the walking.

Vera said...

RUTH: thanks for your kind words.

MAMA PEA: thank you for your 'atta girl' comment. I have seemed to have found my mojo since arriving in England, thank goodness!

LOCAL ALIEN: Those stairs were a challenge indeed, and already my legs are feeling the benefit!

DUTA said...

I live on the third floor, under the roof.
Stairs are , thank God, the 'easy part'; it is the roof that does the problems.
You seem to be adjusting to reality, just fine.

Vera said...

DUTA; Thankj goodness I only have one flight of stairs to climb! But I am intrigued by your comment that "it is the roof that does the problems"......

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Vera, the bitter part of me is thinking "Who in their right mind puts the only WC upstairs?"

Glad to hear it is manageable and you are making progress. I enjoyed reading portions of "A Shropshire Lad" in high school so I am completely expecting pictures...

DUTA said...

The roof has to be treated regularly to prevent leaking in winter. It's costly and not always efficient as the structure is old.

Travel said...

It is great to hear from you. Stairs take getting used to, we are on the third floor, with an elevator. Our bodies are amazingly resilient. The walks sound wonderful.

Vera said...

TOIRDHEALBHEACH BEUCAIL: There was a time when outside toilets were the norm. Then they were brought inside and put into one of the bedrooms upstairs - hence upstairs loos!
I must search out 'A Shropshire Lad' and have a read of it. As for pictures....my camera equipment is still in France, but I now have a mobile phone....all I have to do is learn how to take photos on that. Might be a while.....

DUTA: A leaky roof is not good, this is what we have found out from our France experience! Hope you stay dry this winter. Hope the structure stays intact. Thanks for the info.

TRAVEL: I am so glad that I have only one flight of stairs to negotiate. I think my legs would come out on strike if they had any more to cope with!

northsider said...

Hi Vera. We built a bungalow here in Ireland. Would you not consider buying one or a single storey cottage?

Rhodesia said...

I am sure the stairs will eventually become easy for you. We have very steep stairs up to our two offices and I probably climb them many more times a day then if it was only to the loo. I can go up easily without holding the one-sided bannister but because they are so steep I make sure I have a free hand on the way back down. We have alternating tread steps so you have to remember which foot to start out on or you are in trouble. I am sure your walks will gradually get longer and longer.

Did you manage to see the house in France?

Stay safe and keep well, Diane

Rhodesia said...

I left a message here I wonder what happened to it? I distinctly remember remarking because our steps are so steep we have alternating tread, Meaning that you have to use right foot and left foot on the right steps. Think I wrote a whole lot more as well but...... Take care Diane

Vera said...

NORTHSIDER DAVE: Lester has been mentioning that a bungalow might be better, but I think I shall keep doing stairs as it keeps me fit!

RHODESIA; your stairs sound complicated to come down! I do think that the stairs are giving me good exercise. I am putting an office upstairs as well, so there will be more going up and down them!

Thanks for posting the two comments,.....my computer was out of action for a few days which is why I could not post them. Thanks for taking the trouble though. Vx