Sunday 27 January 2019

My bowl of cornflakes.....

I was hungry, so I got myself out of bed to have a bowl of cornflakes and to have a chat with you at the same time. It is the middle of the night.

Do I, or do I not, get involved again with the little choir I conducted before Christmas, as I find myself getting tangled up with the making of music with them once more. And why is it that I have this drive to organize the choir folk so that they can get the best out of themselves, which they definitely did on the last concert just before Christmas. I was so proud of them. They shone, which sent a lot of light and happiness into the maison de retraite residents.

Anyway, the little group has got together again. I spent a bunch of hours yesterday searching for the relevant music on the web, then downloading it and re-writing what needs correcting. It is mostly French Pyrenees folk music, some of which sends shivers down my spine. I find it very seductive. I think it must be a past life connection I have to this area because I have a love of the Basque music.

But aren't I supposed to be getting myself sorted out with the art of podcasting, which seems to be taking an age. Such a lot to think about.

And then there is the general housewife stuff........ looking after the two of us takes up quite a chunk of head space, as does listening to the woes of my partner as he grapples with the complicated world of the virtual office. Bless him, he works hard for us.

The farm, that also needs some attention. The winter has not been cold enough to make the wild plants go to sleep, instead they doze, waking up frequently to put on another growth spurt. The brambles in particular are starting to romp away. If not cut down they will soon own the farm.
And then there is the chicken hut, which has started to have a worrying lean to its original upward stance. There are mounds around its feet, which might be either rat or mole tunnels. It is possible that the feet of the chicken hut are sliding into this newly made space in the earth.

Then there is me, and the need to give some time to my crafts, music, and everything else I do to keep in balance. I am out of balance at the moment, which is why I am awake at three o'clock in the morning writing to you. Oh dear!

Not to worry, life is good, and everything is as it should be. The owl that zig-zagged from side to side in front of the car I was a passenger in the other day said this was so. It was dusk. I had been to a choir meeting and was being taken home by a kind friend. The owl came then. It flew at shoulder height alongside the car, then flew from side to side in front of the car. For some distance it did this. The other passengers didn't take much notice, but I did, for whenever an owl comes into my space in an unexpected way, then I know that things are on the change for me, and that everything will be alright. They are one of the signposts that the Universe sends me to let me know that all is well.

But.....I have wandered off the point.....do I continue with the choir, or do I gently release myself from their project and focus on what I already need to do? Not sure. So perhaps to put the choir project  out of my mind for a day or two and see where my thoughts travel.

Meanwhile, I am back to Project Podcast. I am getting along with it, but slowly. I have had a few goes at speaking to front of camera, and am training myself not to use a silly voice, a voice which sometimes comes forth to overcome shyness. Looking at myself on screen, I am surprised that I do not look as I think I look. I have watched many podcasts within my genre, but prefer the presenters who do not posh themselves up with coiffured hairdo and painted faces. Therefore I shall be as nature intended, but dressed of course! And here again, I see that I look plumply round in body shape, larger than I thought I was, but I wouldn't be able to give someone the hug they badly needed if  I was stick thin. One must have a cushiony bosom to be able to hug someone properly, and that I have in abundance.

Crikey, it is now four o'clock in the morning, so I really ought to go to bed. I always write better during the hours of night. No distractions I suppose.

The cornflakes are now being recycled in my tummy, and I am starting to get a little chilled so off I must go to get warmed up again in bed.

Oh, must just say that one of the cows got out of their pen and decapitated the rest of the green vegetables which were growing in the raised beds in the courtyard, the same vegetables which were munched on when the sheep did a raid a while ago. The vegetables are now stumps of stalk so non retrievable. Not to worry. I shall continue on with the 'growing our own' project, which, to be quite honest, is definitely not happening at the moment, but is not absolutely dead despite the raids on the raised beds by cows, sheep, magpies, blackbirds, rats, mice, and everything else which is hungry.

And......we have two lambs born.

 ....bye for now, and thanks for keeping me company.

Vx

17 comments:

DUTA said...

Congratulations on the birth of the two lambs!

The choir, as you say, brings light into the lives of the residents, but I think it also brings light in your life. So it would be a pity not going on with it. Music is both life and light.
To get balance and to get slimmer, all you need is at least 7 hours of sleep. When we sleep we don't eat, and besides, sleep is a great metabolism booster. I know it from my personal experience.

minwks said...

Ah Vera, There is a certain quality to prose written in the quiet dark hours. The words flow as the mind calms and the body chills.
Comfort is found in the lines flowing from ones fingertips onto a fresh page. Turning back to the warmth of bed is also a delicious luxury.

A lovely post Vera.
Regards Janine

Coco said...

Sorry about the nibbled veg. The dogs keep digging up the fall planted flowers looking for voles.

I know exactly what you mean by too many things to do. I spent yesterday trenching the newly turned sections in preparation for the two weeks of rain on the way. I think I may have to buy some lights for seedlings this year, as I can´t do much outside when it´s pouring.

Wonderful about the owl. The day I heard about my mother´s death a hawk flew quite close to me just outside the house, less than 2 meters away, and I´ve always thought fondly it was her spirit soaring away. Been on the lookout for them ever since.

Congratulations on the new arrivals! Lambs are so cute!

Vera said...

DUTA, I am still arguing with myself about continuing on with the choir. And yes, you are right about sleep.....I need at least seven hours of good sleep to be able to function properly the next day. Good sleep also enables the body to self heal itself, at the same time the soul can recharge it's own battery!

JANINE, thanks for your kind comment, but the only problem with night time writing is that one does feel hung over the next day, which is how I am feeling at the moment.

COCO, it is a battle growing things in the garden when there are so many creatures and other things wanting to have what you are trying to grow! Patience, that is what growing flowers and veg teaches us!

Not sure about how we are going to grow seedlings this year as I am using the table I used last year to grow them on as my sewing table at the moment.

The owl was a wonderful sight to see, but they only appear close to me when I have a big change on the way. I am sure that you will see a hawk again, but when you least expect it.

As for the lambs...... they are so tiny but don't seem to mind that the weather has been wet and cold since they arrived!

Denise said...

Having been on the receiving end of many a cushiony bosom hug from you over the years I say ‘Hear hear!’ to that, Vera! I am looking forward enormously to the launch of the podcasts.

local alien said...

My sis in law had a hawk that sat on her fence. It was always a good sign.
Your wise old owl I hope has positive changes for you.
Lovely to read your update even if it was 4am!

Mama Pea said...

If you can, look at all the different possibilities you are considering and make a decision as to which one(s) will bring you (not anyone else) the most joy and fulfillment. If that isn't possible at this point, pick one (or two or three) and let yourself jump into it with both feet. If the thought of that is overwhelming, narrow your choice(s) again. I hear you saying music brings you much joy so perhaps the choir is a start?

These words of (not) wisdom are coming from someone (moi) currently (and continually) struggling with the fact that I want to do more than I can handle.

Bottom line, keep remembering that seeking, wanting, doing is what keeps the life spark glowing within us. Somehow, someway we must bring all of it into balance though . . . so we can sleep at night. (I know exactly what you're going through on that one!)

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Sorry you aren't sleeping quite as soundly as you would like. I think it's a common problem. I would have been mighty angry at the cow for decimating my vegetable garden! You seem to take it in stride. Have you given us a link to your podcasts yet? Sorry if I have missed it. -Jenn

Rhodesia said...

Glad to hear all is well though you have a few decisions to think about. We are heading back home this coming week after a very traumatic 6 weeks in the UK. Enjoy your week Diane

Vera said...

DIANE, glad to hear that you are coming back to France, although the weather is not very happy at the moment. But at least you will have come back home. I hope you have safe travelling.

Vera said...

JENN,
I sleep most nights quite well, but sometimes I don't and last night I didn't! As for the vegetables.....I was a little annoyed, but it wasn't worth getting upset over as it would only use up my energy!

Vera said...

DENISE, I remember those hugs I gave you, and I also remember the times when hugs were given from you to me! Hope your chickens were not blown over the hills and far away in those winds you were having today!

Vera said...

LOCAL ALIEN, it is good that your sis in law recognizes the good omen which the hawk portends. I am sure that the hawk arrives in her line of sight at exactly the right time to give her a much needed boost, just as the owls do for me.
Glad you enjoyed the update.

Vera said...

MAMA PEA, thank you for your help, which I shall definitely take notice of. I am tending to feel overwhelmed, but that is a normal state of being for me. But I have come to love having a lot to do,.....as you say....it stops my mind from atrophying. The light within me is glowing brightly, just the same as also send out a lovely glow.

And hopefully we shall have a reasonable amount of sleep each night so we can keep on the go!

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Continue with the choir if it brings you joy and purpose. If not, let it go - you have quite enough to fill the gap.

Vera said...

TOIRDHEALBHEACH BEUCAIL, you are right, I do have enough to do at the moment, and I am feeling mildly resentful already about the amount of time it took over the weekend to get some of the music for the choir sorted out. I shall think further about what I need to do. Thanks for yuor wisdom.

northsider said...

I always enjoy your posts. Have you thought of fencing or planting an hedge or building a wall around your veg plot. Mine needs badly weeding but its too cold and wet at the moment. Perhaps I should cover the plot with polythene in Autumn?