Monday 7 March 2022

Would we do it again?

This is a photo of our farm in France, curtesy of the farm's new owners who bought it in January 2020. Many were the hours we spent working on the land, all thirteen acres of it,  and we were able to become self sufficient for a while. It was a challenge, which even to this day surprises us with the effort it took, but it does make for some excellent memories. But.......would we want to do the same process all over again.....? And the answer is 'no'! 


And here is our 'acreage' here, in Oswestry, England. 
As you can see.....there is hardly any comparison between those thirteen acres in France....


However, there is still a need within me to grow things, but instead of planting long rows of crops enough to store for the winter, it will be a rows of minimal length enough for a  week or two during the summer, grown in pots and small raised beds.  No more self sufficiency for us, but it is a happy memory of a time when we were. It is good to look back on things you have done, and which gave you pleasure, but sometimes you have to exchange the time spent on that task for something else which needs your  greater attention. For me, this is my psychic and spiritual pathway, and the teaching of others who want to follow on the same pathway in life. I am aware that I have a lot to give, and that it will be a demanding pathway, but only if I let it be. 

  Meanwhile, my health is getting better. The operation knocked the wind out of my sails, but I managed one and half miles yesterday on wet and muddy ground, which had my legs complaining that they did not like the effort it took to pluck my feet from out of the underfoot soggyness. 

Onwards we go,
In love and light,
Vx

9 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Vera - It can be a hard thing when your life is turned completely end over end. You seem to be managing it very well. And yes indeed -you do have a lot of information and wisdom to offer.

And besides, suburban dwellers can benefit from gardening as much as anyone else.

Glad to hear you are still making progress!

Vera said...

Toirdhealbheach Beucail: I have been investigating on YouTube what we can do with a small garden, so I shall have a go. Might be only a row of lettuce, but at least it is a start!

northsider said...

Good to see you posting again Vera. I have followed you since those days I France and I look forward to reading about your new adventures in Shropshire.

Vera said...

NORTHSIDER: Thanks for the encouragement, .....I shall do my best to post more often!

Mama Pea said...

We all go through different phases and stages of our lives and kudos to you and your hubby for having the fortitude to pull up your boot straps to make the needed change you did. You'll always have the memories of all your hard work and successes in France. I'm sure you'll find you can do LOTS of gardening in small beds and pots and containers right there in your new place. Good to see a post from you, Vera. So glad to hear you're feeling better and better.

Chris said...

Lovely to read how you are.. we moved last year not from a small holding, but a good sized garden which kept us very busy, here we have a modest sized garden which was just weedy grass and a hedge. Today we've sat out in the sun and admired our 3 flower beds and small veg patch and agreed its just right!

Vera said...

Mama Pea, we have lots of plans for the garden, but we are not going to do them this year as we have decided to rest and recover from the hectic last two years. Will focus on other things instead! Thank you for your wise words......

Chris: We loved our life in France, but am so glad that we are no longer living it! Our new garden is just the right size, not too small, and not too big! Thanks for visiting Vx


Jim said...

Hi Vera

Great to see you guys are still around, I’m living back down in the Gers now and was coming to visit you, but then I heard you’ve moved on!
Can’t believe it.
Well good luck with your new adventures.
Builder Jim xx

Vera said...

Hello Jim, Wow, things have changed for us both. Lovely to hear from you, and wishing you well. Vx