Sunday 16 September 2018

...and another snake episode.......

So on a frantic skip and a hop to the loo the other day, with trousers already at half mast in readiness for the joyful moment of collapse on to the toilet seat, my OH was put into a state of high panic which sent him spinning away in the opposite direction,  complete with arms flailing wildly about his person, in haste to get away from the  snake which, just at the very moment he was going to position himself on the loo, had come out from behind that same loo and was heading  straight towards him on a collision course. To see such a thing at such a delicate moment of loo requirement would send anyone into a state of panic, as I am sure you will agree, and so Lester was receiving of  quite a big panic and was not particularly impressed by  the mirth which cascaded from me when he told me what had happened.

Well, that snake was captured and deceased, the same as was the snake that was lolling about by the doors in the Half Barn workroom but that was only a small one and could be held underneath a bottling jar until my OH could decease that too. But the snake which fell on my head as I walked through the front doors a few weeks ago still lives on, and did not give me a fright because I happened to be half asleep when this episode occurred.

As for the snake in the bathroom episode, we do not know how it got so far in to the house. Snakes around doors, we can understand that, although I did not know that they could climb up walls to sunbathe on ledges over doors, but I do now, so I always look upwards when going through the front door...... just in case. But the bathroom is at the back of the house so goodness knows how it managed to get there. Often times ever since, especially during loo trips at night, thoughts about snakes popping up from somewhere or other will come into the mind, the worst one being one wiggling its way from out of the toilet bowl when I am sitting doing my loo job. This is a time when common sense is hidden behind the fug of sleep.

And we seem to be having a lot of sightings of mice at the moment, who seem to be are quite brazen about being seen, even refusing to budge if we are nearby. Actually, I must correct that..... the mice are being seen by my OH when he is walking between the Tall Barn and the Middle Barn  and normally during the evening milking, when he is carrying the milk pail back to the kitchen, the door of which is at the end of Middle Barn. It is a dark space, make darker by the going to sleep of the day, so I tend to avoid this space at this time of day preferring to use the front door, but if I do feel bold enough to take this short cut to the house I will make much noise with my voice to let any creatures that might be lingering about know that I am coming and would they scamper away somewhere else and not give me a fright. I have made the suggestion to my OH that he also do this, but he doesn't, so that is why he is seeing the mice, and also got a fright the other night when a 'very huge rat'' (his words) crossed his path.

I think the recent appearance of these 'tame' mice, is because my OH has spent the recent weeks getting the old bedding straw  cleared out from the cow pens in the Tall Barn so the cows can start coming in at night. The mice would have had their homes in that bedding, and would have also been used to seeing Lester when he sat on the milking stool milking the cows.




The Tall Barn......all clean and tidy, waiting for the new bedding to be put down, and having a peacefulness which is magical. 

It will take lots of wheelbarrows of straw to fill this space, just as it has taken loads of wheelbarrow trips to dump the old bedding out on to Veg Plots 1, 2, & 3, but the work of doing so has improved the soil in the soil in these areas over the years, which has made this work worthwhile. 

Must be  off to cook some food for my hardworking husband, 
so bye for now. 

Vx

13 comments:

Athene said...

Perhaps you need to get a cat!

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Good heavens. Had no idea there were so many snakes in France - although if you have a lot of mice about, sounds like they are just following the food chain.

This summer we had a 5' gopher snake try and get in the house. We trapped in the back door - the greatest scene ensued, with The Ravishing Mrs. TB telling me to get it out- after she got a picture - and me trying to keep the snake from coming further in.

Mama Pea said...

With my fear of snakes, worms and all other things slithery, I may have just fallen over in a dead faint if I had encountered what your husband did in the bathroom!

I have been known to have to make a potty stop in the middle of the night now and then (ahem) and of late, have been about to plop myself down on the seat of the toilet just as I noticed a large, black, ugly earwig on very same spot! Our night light is next to the toilet (luckily) so I could see it. A couple of nights later, I found another one in the bowl, but not in the water. Now, you may be sure, I thoroughly check over, under, on and around before lowering myself onto said apparatus. (((Shudder)))

Vera said...

ATHENE: A cat would be a good idea, if it was not for the fact that we don't seem to be able to bond with cats......and they do tend to get into places that you don't want them to get into, and you can't take them for a walk! But we might eventually get a terrier / Jack Russell type dog, who might just help out with the snake and vermin problem. Unfortunately Maz, our Rottweiller, is too lazy to oblige in helping out!

Vera said...

TOIRDHEALBHEACH BEUCAIL; we gave a lot of wildlife around here, including wild boar, deer, and badgers to add to the mix of snakes, rats, mice, lizards, etc....., but snakes are quickly becoming our less liked of all the species. I am sure that you will understand this after your experience with that gopher snake! The snakes here probably would not deliberately harm us, but then.....they might!

Vera said...

MAMA PEA, Oh dear, I am not fussed with earwigs either, this dislike having been born when I had a bunch of them fall on my head when walking into my Dad's aviary! Fortunately we do not seem to have any here, but then....we might!.... so I think I shall start putting the bathroom light on when I go to the loo at night, just in case.........

Rhodesia said...

This reminds me of my mother in Rhodesian days killing an Egyptian Cobra in the shower with a spade!!!!!! Don't ask. It was taken to the snake park for full identification and it was a female 1 inch short of record size!!
Have a good week, Diane

Vera said...

DIANE, with great relief I can honestly say that none of our snake experiences has presented us with anything as alarming as that of the cobra your mother killed!

Hope you are well and in keeping in good health. Vx

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Vera, we are fortunate it was a gopher snake. We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, and water moccasins in our area, but thankfully we are too urban for them to make it too far in. Only the occasional scorpion.

Vera said...

TOIRDHEALBHEACH BEUCAIL; I don't know what sort of snake ours were, but they were definitely not as dangerous as the ones you mentioned, apart from, possibly, grass snakes. No scorpions though. But it is just that they are so wriggly, making them difficult to catch!

northsider said...

I am sure the small snakes(worms) will enjoy living in all the stable litter on the veg plot.

Vera said...

N.DAVE...... thanks for that! I had not thought of worms as snakes, but I suppose they are. So if I look upon the snakes which have been hanging about around the house as just big worms, then I will be able to view them in a less formidable way!

Anonymous said...

If you wish to kill mice, put about 3 inches of water into a bucket. Drill a hole on each side of the bucket top. Drill a hole in the bottom of a beverage can. Run a piece of wire through the can and attach the wire to the bucket through the holes you drilled. The can should spin freely. Put some peanut butter on the ends of the can and rest a couple sticks from the ground to the can edge to provide a ramp. I used a set up like this outside my home near the fireplace stones and caught dozens of mice over the summer. I prefer to catch them outside than inside. lepidilla