Tuesday, 3 July 2018

Cooking nicely.......

This was not supposed to look like this. OK, the river water was held away from the house by this heap, but it is not going to do anything towards keeping us warm this winter. 
This heap? It is supposed to be our wood pile, delivered a few months ago, and which should have been stacked properly, and it would have been if it had not been for the inclement weather which went on and on and on for several months.

Anyway, let's not dwell on that, let's be glad that the weather has changed, let's be happy that we have lovely sunny weather, let's feel glad, yippydoodoooo.....

And the wood pile is now being sorted, but only bit by bit, and only by Lester because I have been banned from helping because he thinks that snakes, adders in particularly, might be living in the heap and he does not want me bitten. He, bold fellow, seems not to worry that he might be the one to get bitten, but he is now on a mission to get that wood pile sorted out. 
This means that the 'Making a Mini Milking Shed Project' is now put on hold, so for the moment I shall keep dusting the mini milka which is keeping company with my spinning wheel in our hallway.

Still a long way to go, but there is something about seeing a pile of neatly stacked wood which is pleasantly reassuring. 

And there is also something equally pleasant going on in the courtyard, because I have taken over half of the arbre to make a 'Me Zone'. This was the half which housed the hay and straw for several winters until we got fed up with the mess it made, so now the the bales stay out on the front drive. To stop this space being used for Lester's stuff I moved in toute suite. After all, he does have the other half, which houses his mini tractor and its implements, so it is only fair that I should have the other side. 

So.... first of all I put my sunbed in the space, then I hung some washing line from beam to beam and back again. OK, so this does mean that I shall have washing festooned over my head when I am in there but not to worry, at least I have somewhere to hang the washing.
And then I found a home for a garden table, which did not have a proper use. It is now my work table, for putting things on ...... like seedlings, spinning equipment, cup of coffee, etc......, and then I made my first mini garden comprising of a few pots of this and that. 
It is a start. I have somewhere to sit, where I can fuss over and talk to the seeds as they sprout into seedlings, where I can connect with the growing of plants which are not weeds.

It feels like a cosy hut, and I love it. 

,,,,, and swinging around.....

..... to the raised beds.....


Celery, a few bush beans, and lettuce.

Lettuce, beetroot, a self sown tomato, chives, and thyme. 
The other three beds are not planted, but I shall potter on with doing so as time progresses.
Meanwhile Veg Plots 1, 2, and 3, remain fallow.
We shall not be having any harvests this year of produce we can store for winter use, but at least the raised beds are keeping my love of growing things satisfied for the time being. At least I have somewhere to potter around in the cool of the early morning, have somewhere to sit when I am spinning this year's wool from our sheep, and a place to laze should the mood come upon me to do so. Meanwhile we continue to cook nicely as the high temperatures are maintained day after day. 

..... and trying not to be concerned for the dentist who I am going to visit this afternoon, who has to deal with an English woman who will not mind sitting in his chair and letting him do what he has to do, but whose French is sometimes alright and sometimes isn't, and his English language which has the same off and on quality to it. 
It was the same in the local market I went to a few days ago. I could not seem to access my French vocabulary at all, which had several French people amused, in particular a French man who teased me on and on as I tried to explain to him what I wanted. In fact, so ticked off was I at my ineptness, that I took myself along to a local Brocante run by an English lady, and partook of a cup of a coffee and a good long conversation with her, and all in English.

Blame the heat for seemingly robbing me of being able to access my minimal French vocabulary. You would think that my French would have improved better than what during the ten years we have been here, but unfortunately lack of practice is the problem. Our life  is quiet here, and most contact is with English people...........

Four hours later: I'm back!
The dentist is not far away, about five minutes. I could have driven the car myself to get me there, but I didn't know how I would feel after the visit, so Lester drove me there, and said he would pick me up again, all I had to do was use his mobile phone to ring him at home to let him know I was ready.
I don't have a mobile phone, so after lengthy instructions from Lester about how to make a phone call, which I wrote down so I would not forget them, off we went. 
The dentist was a lovely man. Very charmingly French, and insisted on  speaking English to me, bless him. Anyway, one crown to be replaced in two weeks time, and a specialist extraction to be done in Tarbes as soon as possible. 
Time to phone home, but mobile would not work as given by Lester's instructions. Oh. So walked down the road into Plaisance, ......no public call boxes around that I could remember, so put up a thought to the Universe for someone to come along who I knew. And they did! Another lovely Frenchman who bought two of our sheep a few years ago, and who sings in a French choir I was thinking of joining, that's who I met. 

Home now. 
Need to sign off,
so bye for now,


PS. Still cooking nicely. Storm coming. 


Mama Pea said...

Good to catch up on what you've been doing! It all may seem like every day life to you, but at the same time it's quite different and interesting compared to my every day life! Keep your posts coming, please.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Vera, it is a man thing. We are pretty much assured that we are immune to natural dangers (we are not, of course, but we think we are. Lester is not alone in this).

The garden looks great. Growing anything is progress in my book.

I especially admire your living somewhere that is not your native country. I fear I would forever be tripping over my tongue.

minwks said...

Oh the joys of nicely stacked firewood! Of course the snakes would not dare bite Lester!! Your raised beds are taking shape and I can imagine you spinning away in you little nook. Enjoy the pleasures of warm, dry weather!
We will be back on the boat at the end of the month. My garden has exploded here and I am battling weeds each day to try and have everything in order for my time away.
I converted nine pounds of red currants into some lovely jelly. It is doubtful the tomatoes will ripen prior to our departure so I will make green tomato chutney at the last minute as well as harvesting the garlic. Oh well, it is difficult to be in two places at once but the neighbours come by and pick the flowers and take the produce from the gardens and that makes me happy.
All the best.

northsider dave said...

Good to read you are getting the sunshine. I like the raised beds.

Rhodesia said...

Interesting post. I had to laugh at you with the phone, glad someone came along.

Hope the storm on the 4th did not reach you. We were so lucky. A couple of kms away, the town of St Sornin was almost wiped out. 800 houses with roofs destroyed by tennis ball size hail and many, many cars also written off. People are living in the clubhouses and sports centres trying to sort out their lives. Very sad. We were away in the Dordogne and the storm was bad there but at least no hail!

Take care Diane