Friday 1 June 2018

Indoors, so cobwebs, writing, and trousers assembled.

Been out in Veg Plots 1 & 2 this morning. Avoided Veg Plot 3. Did not even look at it. Knew it to be beyond help at the moment. But the other two  veg plots were do-able, so I took my scythe and the dog and we did an hour's worth of scything, taking the heads off anything which was growing, including some wild chamomile and poppies. I did say sorry to them, but there were thistles and other nasties staring to sprout up amongst them, so all had to be cut.

I did about a third of each of these plots. I avoided going out into the Front Garden as I have become defeated by the overwhelming amount of thick, head high grass, all soaking wet from the continual bouts of rain we are having. I am trying not to look at the piles of newly cut wood, supposed to be drying for use as next winter's fuel, but now soaking wet and becoming overgrown with a wild rampant creeper. It was supposed to be simple job to stack that wood over the remains of  last winter's log pile, but that log pile, too, is swiftly becoming overgrown with the creeper, which is everywhere, and growing so swiftly that if I took the time to watch I would see it grow. 

However....... it is just as it is, and I must not be downcast about this most unusual pattern of weather we are having at the moment. No use in moaning about not being able to get outside to do things, because it is beyond my control, so what I have been doing is utilizing this time to:

- continue on with the endless battle to get the cobwebs removed, as made by the huge population of house spiders we have in residence. We have wooden ceilings and lime plastered walls, which makes it easy for these little spiders to make good sized cobwebs. I don't like taking life, but if I did not despatch these little insects into insect heaven we would have cobwebs everywhere, and I mean everywhere. 

- stop looking at YouTube and Facebook, but to concentrate on re-engaging with my writing projects, and there are a lot of them. This is good for me as it exercises my mind in a positive way. Not sure if I shall ever get published, but it does not matter, engaging with the word flows is enough.

- get back to my dressmaking. I have been making myself a pair of trousers which I shall wear to my meditation group. Everyone sits on the floor, but a couple of us sit on chairs. Recently I have been blessed with the urge to sit on the floor as well. I know not why, but it is quite as urge. And two weeks ago I did respond to that urge, but only on to my knees. The last section of the meditation evening requires us all to move into a circle in the middle of the group and to and join hands, which is easy for those already sitting on the floor because all they need to do is shuffle into position on the bums. But I have to stand up, turn round, and lift the chair I am sitting on into position. So..... on this particular evening I felt motivated to have a go at getting down on the floor, but not all the way as I was concerned in case I was not able to get up again, so I compromised by going down  on to my knees, which was halfway. I felt quite impressed with myself. However, how to get up again...... so I went on all fours and moved myself backwards out of the circle like a reversing truck, then asked for assistance to get upright again. My efforts were rewarded by claps and cheers from the others. I did a curtsey to show my thanks. I was wearing a skirt, so this I could do. But it came into my mind that perhaps a skirt was not appropriate wear for anything to do with getting up and down from the floor, so trousers need to be made to protect my modesty.

Ah, the sun is out, so methinks I shall have a go at getting the raised beds cleared of anything which should not be there because I am thinking of buying some veg seedlings to put in them. The veg plots are staying unplanted this year, but will be receiving lots of manure and rotted green stuff ready for next year.

Bye for now,

Vx

12 comments:

minwks said...


Dear Vera, Some mornings I wake and think “what will I do today?”
So my mind begins to wander. All of a sudden the day is filled with plans and good intentions. Before long I have leaped from my bed to begin.
However soon distractions pull me in many directions and the day races into evening. So many good plans, so little time!

Hope the pants are sewed and you are ready for your next group meditation. A question, is this group in English or in French?
Only another seven weeks before handy husband and I rejoin our small boat in Paris for twelve weeks of meandering.

Take care.
Regards Janine

Vera said...

JANINE, I am the same! No, the pants are not done yet because I worked on the website I am developing so stayed concentrated all day, which is unusual for me as I also tend to be easily distracted!

The meditation group is in English. I don't think I would be able to follow a spoken meditation if it was spoken in French!

Those seven weeks will go quickly, and I hope by the time you get here to France that the weather would have settled down.....I don't think you are likely to get down here to SW France on your boat, but if you could you would be more than welcome to stop by for a visit!

rusty duck said...

I know it's been wet in France because you have been kindly exporting all your weather across the channel in our direction! Perhaps I should have voted to leave after all (which I didn't by the way).

Vera said...

JESSICA, not had to water the garden this year as nothing planted which we can eat, but weeds very happy and growing well!

Rhodesia said...

The weather is very odd and we are supposed to get lightning and storms today, but I have given up on the forecast it is not that good!
I have lots of material, but how do you find the time to sew, I don't know how you fit everything in. I do not have your skills and the material still sits in the cupboard!
Take care Diane

Janice said...

Hi Vera, I wish you could get some help to work in your gardens so you could get ahead of the weeds. It must be difficult for you with Lester working all the time. I haven't been able to do much outside, or inside for that matter. I'm in the 5th week of having shingles. Not fun at all, just major pain. The drugs I'm taking to try and block the nerve pain make me so tired that it's an effort just to flick a duster round the house. Managed to plant a few tomato plants but that's it for this year I think. Glad to see your getting back to your writing and the meditation must be very helpful. Take care, Janice.

northsider said...

Think it's time for the polytunnel Vera. We are having some very good weather in Ireland for a change. Shush. Don't let the rain here.

Vera said...

DIANE, I think you have been having worse storms in your area than we have, but we have given up on the forecast as well!
I used to sew a lot more than I do now.... I love fabrics but try not to let my stash build up too much. Mostly I make things for the house as I think the colours in the fabrics make the house look cosy, and I make things for myself because I can't buy clothes to fit me!
Hope our weather settles down soon.

JANICE, I am sorry to hear that you have shingles, and hope the condition clears up soon. It must be a dreadful pain to be experiencing, so no wonder you can't do too much.
Sending blessings of love and light to you, and have put you on my absent healing list. Vx

NORTHSIDER DAVE, the poly tunnel has to wait for the moment as the mini milking parlour needs to take top priority!
I shall not make a comment about you having the sunshine we normally have, and us having the rain that you normally have, just enjoy the sun, which must be a nice change to your normal weather.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Vera, in moments where I find myself frustrated by my inability to move forward on projects not due to my own lack of trying, I comfort myself with the concept that actual life is quite different from what I believe most of us are taught. Progress is sometimes in great leaps but sometimes in drips and drabs. We take what we can and try not to mind the rest.

And please, send your weather here. Summer has come upon us in the last week and we have had 37 C at least twice in the last week - with three weeks until the official "start" of summer.

Vera said...

TOIRDHEALBHEACH BEUCAIL, No, sorry, you will just have to keep on enjoying the warm weather, as we have to keep being patient with our monsoon type weather. Nothing is forever, so soon the weather pattern will be swopping itself around again. This, then, is what I keep telling myself as we continue to get rained upon!

You are right when you say that 'actual life is different to what we are taught it to be'. What we are taught can make us into who we are not meant to be, which can make us a stranger to ourselves. Understanding this can help us find our way home to ourself, which then sets us apart from everyone else as we become our own unique self, and then any new projects started will meet with success because they are being done from the heart, although the success may be delayed while a patch of life learning is done.

DUTA said...

You've got yourself now into a perfect circle: physical work in the garden, creative work at home- sewing pants - and spiritual sessions of meditation which can be very helpful in relieving tension in general. Well Done, Vera!

Vera said...

DUTA, thank you for giving me this insight to my life, and you are right, doing all these things does help me towards having a balanced life.