Wednesday, 14 April 2010

House sharing (Part One)

 Mr T's had an accident. Not only that but his father has had a heart attack, so all the family are at the hospital. 

Mr T is the same Mr T who is doing our fencing. And our Sheep House. Out front this is happening. In the poles have gone, wammed in by a magic machine which got them into the earth. All 360 of them, because we have also poled up the remaining two fields. Expenseeev it has been. But necessary.

And Hubs developed a Grand Plan for the Sheep House. To be in oak. Strong. To last. Bolted through, so no wind will dare to knock it askew. It's placement in the front paddock was duly discussed at great length, then undiscussed as decisions were reversed, then discussed again and agreement eventually made. 

Countdown to sheep arrival time: two weeks now. Hubs has taken a week off work. Thank goodness the sun is shining. Spent weekend doing things, like dock-wars, ( the dock being a fearsomely invasive plant which none of the animals will eat except the rabbits and they are little and the docks are many so will not be threatened by the rabbs). We also went and met the new dad to our Tamworth Project. (Will tell you about that in a future blog), and did a jolly over at our neighbour's place where our other neighbour got herself cross-eyed on alcohol and insisted we all romped round the garden, jigging and dancing to tunes heretofore unknown to me and Hubs. But said jiggy-neighbour probably needed a perking up because all her chickens, ducks, and Indian Runners are now deceased, done unto death by an unknown foe which came and swiped them away during the night.

Anyway, Mr T: Monday saw us searching for the necessary wire, steel plates, and other bits and bobs necessary for the Sheep House and Front Paddock Projects, Hubs meanwhile wilting from the dents to the household finances that were being incurred. Then hooray!!!
A visit to the woodmill brought a cheery moment as the wood for the Sheep House was seen to be ready for collection by Mr T and his tractor later on. Which also gave rise to splendid 'man pow-wows' as Mr T, his son, and Hubs, discussed the various options of house building. I meanwhile carried on with the dock wars. The plant is now seeding. This cannot be allowed to happen, so I am patrolling the fields and decapatating all seedheads of which there are many. 

Anyway, that was Monday. Tuesday saw us off to Pau to see if we can get our campervan French registered. We might be able to, but it is going to cost over a thousand euros to get the next step sorted out, and then it is not a sure thing that we will be able to be registered. A family pow-wow that evening, and it was decided that it has to go, probably for spare parts. Ah well, shame, but there are not other options. Time is marching on, though. Hubs's week is racing by, and still no Sheep House, nor Paddock fencing done, although Mr T had come along when we were out and dug some holes. Looking good for getting finished this week, we thought. Sun still shining, so weather holding. 

So no Mr T today. Hubs doing Head Gardener stuff, mowing and tidying up the fruit trees. I am doing Under Gardener stuff, which is primarily cutting off dock seed heads. Four large black dustbin bags I filled. It took me three hours. I did about one eight of the side field. Man oh man but these wretched docks are a nightmare. 
And then the son of Mr T came by, and told us the news about his father and his grandfather. And so Mr T is out of action for three months. No Sheep House then. No fencing of the Paddock done. But the sheep arrive in two weeks.

Nothing for it. Cancel all other activities. (Ahha! which means no cooking!!!!) Hubs and me will have to do the fencing. And rig up a house over one corner of the Paddock with a tarpaulin. The sheep will have to get used to tenting until their proper house is done. Mr T has the wood, you see. Took it away on his tractor to prepare it. 

So, tomorrow I start my apprenticeship as Under Assistant to Head Fencer Hubs. We have four days in which to get the Paddock done. And also, hopefully, the back field. 

The sheep arrive in two weeks. So does the dad to our Tamworth Project. It is all go here. 

And it is all go at Mr T's place, so sending him the very best of wishes for a healthy recovery, and also to his father. It is hard for this family to have a double knock like this, and I wish them well. Hubs and me can fix up what is needed to be urgently done, and I am sure the sheep will not mind camping out. 

Update on this: Another pow-wow has rearranged the sleeping accomodation for the sheep. The half barn. Yes, the very same half barn which we are supposed to be moving into at some point in the future. Not to worry. The sheep need to be kept dry in case of summer storms, that's what Hubs says. 

Update Two: Yet another pow-wow. It was decided that the half barn was not do-able. That perhaps the future lounge room would be better. Inside the house, that is. And here's a funny thing: I had a dream the other night about the sheep being in the hallway area, sleeping there for the night. So: I would have the 'kitchen' on one side of the hallway, and the sheep would have the room opposite. 

Let's hope Mr T gets well soon!

Oh and by the way, Boy Bunny was piggy-backying Girl Bunny today. Methinks the patter of tiny bunny feet might be an eventuality. 


DUTA said...

Speedy recovery to mr.T!
You and your hubby are creative people, full of initiative, so I believe you'll find ways to overcome the unexpected difficulties. May God give you the neccessary strength!

Vera said...

Thankyou Duta, I think we could do with a bit of extra strength just now, but Mr T and is family need need a lot more. Hope you are keeping well. God bless.

the fly in the web said...

Hope all goes well with Mr. T and his dad.

Good luck with the sheep housing...don't be surprised to find them in your bedroom...

Vera said...

Thanks, Fly, but I think our sleeping accomodation is safe as we still sleep in the caravan at night, but if we were sleeping in the house, then no doubt we would have had them visiting, especially the lambs who tend to be curious little creatures!

French Fancy said...

I'm sorry to hear about Mr T's problems and just reading your post made me tired. Good luck with all this hands-on malarkey. I spent hours weeding a small section of garden yesterday and I can't begin to imagine how people cope with so much land and so many projects.

Vera said...

Hi FF:) Yes, it does seem a bit much at times, but it will be worth it in the end.

Ken Devine said...

My mouse battery is about to go...catch you tomorrow Vera.

Vera said...

Oh Ken! Hope you managed to get that battery recharged!